Media release from Climate Change Minister James Shaw:
The second set of improvements to the New Zealand Emissions Trading Scheme (NZ ETS) have been announced to further encourage greenhouse gas emissions reductions and increase forestry planting, said the Minister for Climate Change.
These latest changes will:
- improve transparency within the NZ ETS,
- increase rates of compliance with the scheme,
- pave the way for robust NZ ETS auctions,
- ensure that the fixed price option is removed no later than the end of 2022,
- enable a price floor to be added to the NZ ETS if necessary in future.
From 2021, changes designed to increase transparency of the NZ ETS will let the public access more information about the scheme, including the emissions of individual NZ ETS participants.