This flowchart shows the resource consent process for non-notified applications.
Step 1: Application lodgement and completeness assessment. Section 88 allows the local authority to check the application for completeness, before accepting it for processing.
2. Application is lodged by the applicant (s88). The working days begin on the first full day after lodgement.
3. The application is checked for completeness (s88(3)). The council has 5 working days to check the application for completeness. The completeness check provides an opportunity to:
4. Is the application complete?
5. If the application is incomplete, it is returned to the applicant with an explanation (s88(3)). The application must be re-lodged as a new application (s88(4)) starting the process back at point 2.
6. If the application is complete, processing is continued (go to point 7).
Step 2: Further information
7. Is further information / report needed?
8. If further information is not needed go to point 14.
9. If further information / report is needed either:
a. The applicant is requested to provide the information (s92(1)); or
b. The local authority commissions a report (s92(2))
9A. [Following from point 9a above] Where the applicant is requested to provide information, the applicant:
a. Provides the information within 15 working days (s92A(1)(a))
b. Within 15 working days confirms in writing that they agree to provide the information (s92A(1)(b))
c. Provides no response or refuses to provide information (s92A(1)(c))
9AA. Has all the information requested been received? Go to point 10.
9AB. Where notice from the applicant that they agree to provide the information has been received, the council sets a timeframe within which the applicant must provide the information and advises the applicant (s92A(2)(a)). Go to point 10.
9AC. Where the applicant has provided no response or refuses to provide information or commissioning of report, publicly notify the application if a notification determination has not already been made (s95C). Continue to process the application (s92A(3) and s92B(2)). Go to point 14.
9B. [Following from point 9b above] Where the local authority wants to commission a report, the applicant:
a. Provides no response or refuses to the commissioning of report (s92B(2)). (Go to point 9AC)
b. Within 15 working days confirms in writing that they agree to the commissioning of report (s92B(1)).
9BB. Where the applicant has confirmed in writing to the commissioning of report, the report is then received. Go back to point 7.
10. If the information requested is received, go back to point 7.
11. If not all the information requested is received, does the applicant agree to provide the outstanding requested information (must be within the scope of the original request)?
12. If the applicant agrees to provide the outstanding requested information go to point 9AB.
13. If the applicant does not agree to provide the outstanding requested information, go to point 9AC.
Step 3: Non-notified applications. Non-notified resource consents involve two decision paths – those that require hearings and those that do not. The timeframe for processing a non-notified application without a hearing is 20 working days and with a hearing is 40 working days.
The consent authority may only extend the time periods of the Act as follows:
Last updated: 1 February 2011