Summary of current scientific awareness of the effect of genetically
modified organisms on the natural environment
This report presents research done by Travis R. Glare and Maureen O’Callaghan
of AgResearch and Louise A. Malone and Elisabeth P.J. Burgess of HortResearch.
It should not be taken as representative of the views of the Ministry
for the Environment.
Table of contents
List of tables and figures
- Potential environmental benefits from GMOs
- Horizontal gene transfer
- Stability and recombination of transgenes
- Capacity of transgenic plants to invasiveness
- Non-target effects of transgenic plants
- Non-target effects of transgenic micro-organisms
- Non-target effects of genetically modified invertebrates and vertebrates
- Resistance development and resistance management strategies
- Effect of GMOs on mammals
- Environmental impacts of the alternatives to GMOs
- Current New Zealand research relevant to environmental impacts
Appendix 1: Web pages of interest
Problems accessing PDFs?