What is a sustainable industry?
The Ministry for the Environment thinks about industry broadly as organisations
that create goods and services, have a drive for profit and operate
in a contestable market. It includes:
- traditional New Zealand industries such as agriculture and forestry
- small and medium scale enterprises
- less traditionally recognised industries such as the finance and
education sectors, and the operations of central and local government.
In simple terms, sustainability is the practice of making things able
to continue indefinitely. This means thinking about tomorrow today,
and also thinking about economic, social, and environmental trends,
risks, and opportunities.
Sustainability is not environmentalism in disguise and does not mean
suppressing business innovation, or reining in economic growth. It is
not business as usual either. The focus of the Ministry's work for business is on encouraging and rewarding businesses with
sustainable practices, rather than punishing businesses that don’t
The Ministry defines a sustainable industry as an industry that:
- anticipates economic, environmental and social trends to minimise
risk and takes opportunities to improve comparative advantage
- looks for new ways of doing business that improve economic, environmental
and social performance
- looks for the business opportunities in using natural resources
- understands that today’s competitive factors may not be tomorrow’s
- understands impacts across business and product life cycles
- operates beyond traditional market and compliance boundaries
- works with its stakeholders effectively.
How does the Ministry promote and develop sustainable
The Ministry helps industry think+plan+operate sustainably.
Services we offer
- Supporting and encouraging environmentally responsible business
- Help business and industry understand the impacts of government policy
- Provide practical advice and support on major industry projects
government to be a sustainable sector
- Work with existing central and local government programmes aimed
at increasing economic growth
- Leverage whole of government approaches to sustainable industry
- Help government to be a sustainable sector
Last updated: 4 October 2010